With Father’s Day ahead, give your Damn Dirty Daddy-o a treat and enjoy our Top 5 most downloaded podcast episodes shows for the week ending June 11th:
5. Our recent show features filmmaker TED NEWSOM sharing his exclusive and wonderful tales of reuniting the great Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing for the last time as co-narrators of his Hammer documentary FLESH AND BLOOD: THE HAMMER HERITAGE OF HORROR. Ted lets us in on some rare tales of humor and humanity displayed between these two iconic actors amid a fascinating discussion of Hammer horror films and more. He and the DDG also branch off into more filmmaking stories of other Hammer actors and actresses, expanded upon in Ted’s recently expanded DVD documentary that we highly recommend to all horror fans.
4. Reigning as our most popular podcast episode for 2015, our PLANET OF THE APES Day episode with special guest Dana Gould swings back into the #4 slot of our most downloaded shows this past week. THE SIMPSONS producer/writer and comedian inspires a hilarious hour-long recap of the classic APES film franchise, including plenty of off-the-cuff jokes and impressions. Dana and the Geeks also delve into the short-lived PLANET OF THE APES live-action and animated TV series, plus more discussion of the current APES franchise reboot films. Get your damn dirty ears on this episode today!
3. Our #3 most popular podcast episode of last week is a STAR WARS-filled follow up, Part 2 of our show with SAM WITWER. Sam and the DDG dive deep into STAR WARS lore, exploring the franchise transitions between the official canon films, books and TV series and the Legends universe of previous fiction. Sam’s been a part of it all, contributing his voice acting as Starkiller in Star Wars: the Force Unleashed video games, plus both animated series THE CLONE WARS and STAR WARS REBELS. Enjoy Sam’s own vocal talents as he gives us some samples of Emperor Palpatine’s evil intonations and Darth Maul’s villainous voice and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!
2. Our second-most downloaded podcast of last week was Part 1 of our two-hour show with actor SAM WITWER, discussing his fortuitous casting experience for a role in Frank Darabont’s excellent adaptation of Stephen King’s horror thriller THE MIST, and as a troubled vampire in SyFy’s supernatural series BEING HUMAN. Sam also shares with the DDG his experience making the pilot of AMC’s hit horror series THE WALKING DEAD, including his character makeup with podcast guest Greg Nicotero, and Sam’s role as the undead tank soldier who was slated to have his backstory told in webisodes online.
1. And our #1 most downloaded episode this past week is also our newest, an 84-minute discussion of modern independent horror films and the classics that influenced them with producer/director MIKE MENDEZ. Mike talks about his earliest impressions of films like CARRIE and THE HILLS HAVE EYES seen when he was very young started him on the road to loving horror. He and the DDG also get into deeper discussion of James Cameron’s genre-bending sequel ALIENS, and how it skillfully blended action, humor and terror in a style that Mendez’s films like BIG ASS SPIDER! and LAVALANTULA embody in their own entertaining ways. Likewise, Mike’s segment in the horror anthology TALES OF HALLOWEEN exploits several twists to liven up what audiences think will be a predictable slasher story.
Keep listening to and exploring current and past episodes of the Damn Dirty Geeks podcast, as your downloads will determine which shows will be our Top 5 podcasts for next week! We welcome you rate each episode’s page on our website, and rate/review our podcast on iTunes to help spread the word to new fans and listeners.